Gadget Trade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gadget Trade

Forum mainly aimed at those on vintage electronic forums who need a place to buy and sell items not specifically related to the topic of their original forum but still related to the enjoyment of putting old things to better use! Please ignore the ads.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone have cassette player motors?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tube42
Admin
tube42

Anyone have cassette player motors? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have cassette player motors?   Anyone have cassette player motors? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 4:11 am

My old panasonic boombox from the late 70s just pooped out.

Opened it up and it looks like the cassette drive motor is seized. That's kind of weird. I turned it by hand and it does feel pretty sick! Lots of friction inside. I messed around with it for a bit then for some reason it got back to normal and when I plugged it in it spun again just fine. I tried putting it back together again, although keeping in mind it would probably only be a temporary fix, but by the time that was done it was back to not working.

The part number is MHT-5ST6Y and it is a 6VDC motor.

If anyone here thinks they have any motors around for this type of thing and from around that time please let me know and I'll post further details! It doesn't have to be a precise numbers match as I'm sure something else can be made to work.

Meanwhile I'll see if maybe just maybe I can make this one work again by rebuilding it somehow, but with these touchy tiny screws I fear I'll have to break out the drill and the blow torch! Shocked

Thanks a lot,
-Carlos

Back to top Go down
https://gadgetrade.forumotion.com
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have cassette player motors?   Anyone have cassette player motors? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 pm

did you try oiling it?
Back to top Go down
tube42
Admin
tube42

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have cassette player motors?   Anyone have cassette player motors? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Simp,

I'll go ahead and give that a shot but I don't know if it'll work, something really feels messed up!
Back to top Go down
tube42
Admin
tube42

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have cassette player motors?   Anyone have cassette player motors? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 8:32 am

Well I found the problem. The shaft got stuck to the rear bearing of the motor, the bearing was spinning along with the shaft. I rebuilt it and now it spins freely again. However now the problem is that it doesn't power up! The brushes do seem to be making contact and sometimes I can feel it buzz when I get it close to the armature but once it's closed up nothing. Arg how annoying!
Back to top Go down
tube42
Admin
tube42

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have cassette player motors?   Anyone have cassette player motors? EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I have it fixed. The problem was a hairline crack in a copper strip holding/forming part of one of the brushes. When I voltage checked it, the slight touch of the probe must have made the gap close and thus it showed me a voltage. Eventually the gap got big enough where even the voltage checker didn't give me a reading and that's when I discovered the crack. Thankfully it wasn't a bad winding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have cassette player motors?   Anyone have cassette player motors? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have cassette player motors?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gadget Trade :: Sell, buy, and trade :: Vintage Electronics-
Jump to: